Lost Lake Tribune Christmas 2010! Merry Christmas to ALL!

Merry Christmas from the Lost Lake Tribune!

The 2010 US Census Arrives with Major Changes to Nation

On Tuesday, the Commerce Department released the 2010 US Census final numbers. According to the 2010 census, the United States has 308,745,538 people, a 9.7% increase from the 2000 census. Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, and Texas were the top percentage gainers for this count. Michigan is the only state recorded to lose population. The South and West gained more than 10% population each, while the Northeast and Midwest had slight gains.

The Census Bureau also announced the new congressional apportionment for the 2012 federal elections. States that lost one seat each are Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. New York and Ohio each lost two seats. On the other hand, Arizona, Georgia, Nevada, South Carolina, and Washington each gained one seat. Florida added two representatives and Texas added four. Minnesota kept all eight of its seats by narrowly edging Missouri. The Show Me State will have 751, 000 people per congressional representative in the 2012 election. The Land of 10,000 Lakes will be blessed with 664,000 per seat. The US average is 710,000 per congressional seat.

The most densely populated state remains New Jersey. The US is now up to 87.4 people per square mile, meaning that each American has just under 320,000 square feet of land to use.

It was understood by Lost Lake Tribune Senior Editor, Ben Fugate, that Washington D. C. and Utah had already been awarded in a congressional decision back in Feb. 2009. However, according to Louisa Miller, of the population department of the 2010 Census, the bill never actually passed. Miller told Fugate that the Census Bureau was aware of the law and was ready to react to that legislation. According to Miller, the Congress will have 435 seats after the 2012 election unless the bill for DC representation passes. The Census Bureau is prepared for that possibility. Yet Miller was not aware of the total amount electoral votes that are in the electoral college. Neither was she aware of a web site that described the information she publicly gave to the Lost Lake Tribune. The LLT will keep its readers informed of any changes in this news story.

Christmas Letter 2010

Merry Christmas from your friend, relative, and Senior Editor, Benjamin Fugate! 
This has been a busy year for both the Lost Lake Tribune and for me.

In January, the state of Minnesota was deluged with a lot of snow. Most of the state had over 3 feet on the ground. I started my second winter semester at Central Seminary by taking classes in Personal Evangelism and Fundamentalism & Evangelicalism. The biggest news was that the Lord saw fit to take his child, Harry Young, home. Harry Young was a great Christian example of a family man, evangelist, teacher, encourager, and businessman. He left behind his loving wife Ruth Young of 50 years. He also left behind four children: Matt Young, Sara Fugate, Jon Young, and Naomi Clay. He also had 9 grandchildren, the oldest is yours truly. "Papa" as he was known by his grandchildren, died on Jan. 24 at the age of 80, after battling cancer for more than 2 years. He was a cold war veteran, Christian school teacher, and handyman. The Lord's will is better than ours and even though it seems hard to understand why it is better for us, God has His plans and they are for the good of those who truly love Him (Romans 8:28-30). 

In February, the NFL's best team proved to be the New Orleans Saints after the Indianapolis Colts made one too many mistakes and lost Super Bowl XLIV. Also, I  helped with an exciting and tense MACS basketball tourney hosted by Fourth Baptist and Woodcrest Baptist Christian schools. The snow started melting in the last week of February. At my security job, a new, eccentric, supervisor took over. He is a very talkative guy who would stay for for almost an hour of my shift just talking with me.

In March, the snow melted fast. I watched and covered the Butler Bulldogs, as they made an improbable run in the NCAA Tournament. They went all the way to the championship game before losing by a basket to Duke in early April. I received my tax rebate and bought a new winter coat. 
I put in a written request to have my shift changed at work, more on that later. At the same time, the US Congress and Senate passed the horrible health care bill which President Obama unfortunately signed.

In April, The Minnesota Twins started their new season in their new beautiful ballpark, Target Field. I turned 25 for the first time in my life! One day later, the BP oil spill started, lasting for about five months.

In May, I finished my Seminary semester and attended the graduation at Crossroads College, where liberal editor, Marcus Troy graduated with honor. I started another season of church softball. I played well to start but then tapered off later in the season. I also got the opportunity to pitch a couple of games when the coach/pitcher was gone.

In June, I enjoyed the New Testament Association (NTAIBC) annual meeting with my parents and about 100 Baptists from across the country. The Chicago Blackhawks won their first Stanley Cup in 49 years. 

In July, I helped out with elementary camp ClearWaters camp, the Wisconsin campground owned by Fourth Baptist Church. I enjoyed ministering to young boys and girls at a very impressionable stage. The four boys in my cabin were all very different and very intelligent. The eight year old continually used large words correctly to my pleasant surprise. My junior counselor was a big help since this was my first year at this camp. My sister and brother, Rachel and Aaron, Wisconsin Editors, helped out with Camp Shiloh in South Central Minnesota.
Also, the process for me to switch positions at my job started.

In August, I was chosen to take a security position with an evening (4- Midnight) shift at a building in the South Metro. I accepted the job and after a lot of setbacks I stepped into the position in September. I have been at this job since. I also started the fall semester at Central, planning to take 9 credits, but ending up taking 6 credits. 

In September, I finally started working evenings instead of nights! The BP oil spill was finally completely capped. Also Brett Favre returned to play for the Minnesota Vikings but this time the feared injuries and failures came to pass and the Vikings began a very drama-filled season with two early losses, easily blamed on Favre's play. Also, Marcus Troy was hired to his current mortgage underwriting job. I started vending at the Minnesota Golden Gophers football games. The team's lack of success mirrored mine as I made just enough money to justify the venture. I also reported to the LLT readers the shortcomings of the vending program at the U of M.

In October, Ben's church, Fourth Baptist, voted to chose a committee to pursue the sale of Camp ClearWaters, an obvious liability to Fourth's finances. 

In November, the conservatives made large gains at the ballot box both at the local, state, and federal levels. The TEA party scored a major victory for republicanism and the nation! I was very excited for the conservatives but also cautious that liberals could and will lobby for bad policies no matter who is in power.Sadly though, the Owatonna voters narrowly defeated a measure that would have allowed the School Board to buy the ailing Pillsbury College campus. I celebrated Thanksgiving early with my parents and siblings on the Second Sunday of November. On Thanksgiving day I worked. The day after, I celebrated the holiday with my landlord, landlady and their extended family.

In December, the snow came by the boatloads to Minnesota.  The Metrodome roof tore and caved in as a result. Now the state has over 3.5 feet of snow on the ground. I write this letter to you as freezing drizzle falls in the Twin Cities. I will be going to Wisconsin for Christmas, Lord willing. 
I pray that you have a Merry Christmas in 2010 and a Happy New Year in 2011! 

Comments

Popular Posts