Sunday vs Sabbath

Recently, my friend Clayton Zeimet @TeshuvaMessage posted on Twitter
I just noticed that the new testament never actually tells #Christians to #worship on a #Sunday. :/ Is this just #tradition?
Just like when Clayton put studded tires on his car in Minnesota, he is wrong a second time.

First, Jesus instituted Sunday worship. In John 20:19, 26 our Lord appeared to the Apostles on two successive Sundays. He taught them truths and honored their Christian fellowship. Jesus never observed Sabbath after his resurrection.

Second, Paul practiced Sunday worship at Troas. Acts 20:7 shows us that Paul preached on the First Day of the week. Paul stayed in the small city just to do that. I think Luke showed his readers Paul's practices in cities with established churches.

Third, Paul expected Sunday worship. In I Cor. 16:2, Paul says "On the first  day  of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no collections when I come." (NKJV)
Paul expected the Corinthian believers to gather on Sundays. This was nothing new he was just asking them to add a special offering to their weekly worship. Paul never mentions the Sabbath in hiss epistles in a positive light.

Finally, we are in a different era or economy than Israel. Jewish and Gentile Christians are part of the Church. The Church has different guidelines than Israel and the age of the Mosaic Law.
It is disappointing that a student of Pillsbury would question Sunday worship when PBBC employed two of the strongest dispensationalists in Miller and Hudson. I am sure I have also unnecessarily questioned certain Pillsbury theological positions. I hope that Clayton and I are exceptions rather than the norm.

Facebook is a powerful and influential medium. I would encourage you to not repeat the same mistakes I've made. Be careful what theological questions you pose on Facebook, some answers you get will be less than beneficial. It can also hurt one's testimony.

Although this post is directed to Clayton Zeimet, it is the official position of the Lost Lake Tribune.

Comments

Popular Posts